I grew up on Beef Brisket! It has always been one of my favorite meats, so I guess it makes sense that I love to try all sorts of recipes using it. One thing is a constant: it needs to cook low and slow all day. -The rest is all about creativity.
My husband and father adore anything with Barbeque Sauce, so last week I took a chance with my trusted friend the crock pot to see what I could make happen.
Standing ovation time!
- 3-4 beef brisket
- 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ Sauce (We used Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Bourbon smoked Paprika (Seriously the best spice in the Universe! We buy it locally, but here’s a link if you want to order it.)
- 2 tsp Trader Joe’s onion salt (you can use onion powder if you want, but we like this better.)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
Mix all of the spice rub ingredients in a bowl. Then carefully pat the rub all over the brisket. If you can do this twenty four hours in advance and let the brisket sit in the fridge for that time, it’s even better. BUT IF YOU CANNOT, it’s totally fine. Even just an hour or two works. It gives the flavors of the rub time to sink into the meat.
- Pour the entire bottle of BBQ sauce in the bottom of your crock pot. Then put the brisket in. I squished mine down into the sauce so the edges of the meat are partially covered. Put the lid on, set it to low and let it cook for 8 hours. (Your house is going to smell so good!)
- This next step is what makes it so yummy. After 8 hours, carefully take it out and put it on a sheet pan. Spoon some of the sauce over the top and put it under the broiler for about five minutes. Then repeat until there is a nice little crust on the top.
- My husband said this was the best brisket I ever made and I have to agree. (It was also the easiest!)
- When you’re ready to eat, be certain to slice this against the grain.
We paired this with my lemon orzo and some Balsamic mushrooms (recipe coming soon!) It was a wonderful meal! Enjoy!!