Every now and then my husband pops off to the market alone. He often loves to find and bring home bone-in pork chops that are thick-cut and gigantic! The last time he came home with them, I was remembering the episode of “The Brady Bunch”, where Peter and the whole gang kept repeating the phrase, “Pork chopppppssssss and applesauuuuuuce! That’s right, pork choppppssssss and applesauuuuuuuce!” I had never actually tried to make pork chops with any type of apple; so here you have what happened next!
I have often heard that Granny Smith apples are the best for cooking, so I popped out to the market and picked up a few, then I cored them, sliced them and held them in a water bath (to prevent browning).
Salt and pepper both sides of the chops.
Sear in butter and olive oil until golden brown.
See? This is starting to look yummy!
Pay no attention to that last photo with the apples on top. The apples go on the BOTTOM of the pan. I just forgot to save the correct photo! LOL!
- 4 bone-in pork chops
- 3 Granny Smith Apples
- 6 tablespoons REAL butter (Down with substitutes!)
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350
- Peel, core & slice the apples. Place in a bowl and cover with water until ready to use.
- Salt & pepper the chops, then sear them in 2 Tbsp butter using a medium high cast iron skillet.
- Grease a 9 X 12 baking dish.
- Line the bottom with the apple slices.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over the apples. Break up the 2 Tbsp. butter into pea sized little bits and sprinkle them over the apples and sugar mixture.
- Place the chops on top of the apples and sprinkle the remaining butter (broken into bits) over the chops.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
4 thoughts on “Fall into Pork Chops & Apples!”
This looks absolutely delicious! Cannot wait to try it!
Thank you so much! I am not a huge chop fan, but I do love this recipe!
Thank you! Let me know how it went! I love feedback! ❤️